HomePortalFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tacokitty
Admin

PostSubject: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:29 pm

I know there are several reviews on the internet about the 3DS. Some praise it, some bash it, and some even get everything possible to say incredibly wrong. I want to write an honest review. These are thoughts from a random 16-year-old boy. I've played games since I can remember (literally, the brain starts being able to remember around age 3, and my parents have said that I've played games since I was 18 months old), and I wanted to give some information to those of you that weren't sure if the 3DS was your type of system.

The Good:
  • The first thing to note is the 3D visuals. These work very well. It looks as though Nintendo cut out the screen and you're "looking into the world". Along with this, the camera's work well. The only problem is that you almost have to look straight on to the screen to get the effect. There is a bit of leeway on tilting the screen, but you almost need to look straight on. If several people are watching the 3DS, it's best to turn the 3D off. The slider makes great use of the 3D, where you can change the depth of the 3D. Certain things are either 3D or 2D, meaning you can't change the depth, including taking pictures. Nearly everything else, however, will allow you to change depth, such as playing games, looking through the menu, etc.
  • The graphics and sound are very good. The 400 x 240 top screen is quite large (it's technically 800 x 240 while in 3D mode), and nothing fights on the screen. Everything looks very organized and crisp. The sound quality is much better than the DS Lite (I can't say anything for the DSi or DSiXL, since I didn't have either of these systems), and I've found myself leaving the sound on much more often than I have my DS Lite.
  • All of the buttons feel very natural. At first I was worried that the D-pad would be out of the way since it's so far in the bottom left hand corner of the system, but it's still very easy to access. The circle pad (the short analog stick) feels much better in comparison to the PSP's. I felt as though the PSP's was a "nub", and I had trouble when I first started using a PSP. With the 3DS, however, the circle pad has an indention rather than bumps to keep the finger in place, which works much better.
  • I got the Aqua Blue 3DS, and it's incredibly pretty. The blue is very shiny and fun to look at.
  • The retractable stylus is cool.
  • The 3-5 hour battery life may SEEM bad, but it really is long enough as it is.

The Bad:
  • The 3D must be look at almost directly to be seen. This may cause a problem for games that utilize the built in motion and gyro sensors. However, turning the 3D off is definitely not that huge of an issue. I've also had a problem with playing certain AR games with the 3D turned on. This caused a bit of lag in the game, preventing me from playing them well (since you have to move around the AR card and the 3DS must create the image, use the cameras, and display it in 3D all at the same time), but by turning the 3D off, everything processed smoothly.
  • That shininess of the system comes at a small cost. Fingerprints are left fairly easily on the system, but that's nothing a good cloth can't handle.
  • The audio jack is in an odd place (when closed, it's in the middle of the bottom half of the system. Here's a picture for reference. You can see it near the bottom of the picture).
  • The stylus is in the back of the system again, making it difficult to get it out, especially when playing AR games. My hand has gotten in the way of the cameras before when getting the stylus out, which broke the creation from the card. Not a huge problem, since it doesn't take long for it to create it again (takes about one second), but I still don't like the placement of the stylus holder. I enjoyed the Lite's placement much better.
  • The system took two hours to fully charge, and lasted for a little over 5 hours without playing any games. I had the 3D on quite a bit (though switched back and forth), and used the sound some as well. I changed the brightness from its default 5 (max) to 4 to save a bit of energy as well. The battery isn't amazing, but it's enough.

I had to go nitpicking over the "bad" things for the 3DS because there really isn't too much that's wrong with it. I haven't picked up any games for it yet, but hopefully I'll be able to get some this week considering it's Spring Break.

Well, there's my review. Ask any questions if you have any!
Back to top Go down
http://transformcats.forumotion.com
Ignorance

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 pm

*ribbit*

Flipnote Hatena?
Back to top Go down
Kalistik

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:41 am

Oh. My. God. Flipnote Hatena with 3D models would be PWNSOME!

________________________________________________________________________________________

Back to top Go down
http://www.pokemonnow.com/simple/index.php
Tacokitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Ignorance wrote:
*ribbit*

Flipnote Hatena?
I'd have to have a DSi and have purchased it for me to use it on the 3DS. It wouldn't be in 3D, and I don't think the service for transferring DSi software is available yet.
Back to top Go down
Baron

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Hmmm...

Does the 3DS have internet?
Back to top Go down
Tacokitty
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Vaarsivius wrote:
Hmmm...

It will be able to browse the internet after a system update sometime in late May.
Back to top Go down
Baron

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Tacokitty wrote:
Vaarsivius wrote:
Hmmm...

It will be able to browse the internet after a system update sometime in late May.

TC and TM in 3D would be epic!
Back to top Go down
Kalistik

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Ohmigawd! TM needs to be a game for a console or HGD! :3 Maybe the Jungle that's coming out?

________________________________________________________________________________________

Back to top Go down
http://www.pokemonnow.com/simple/index.php
Ignorance

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:21 pm

Tacokitty wrote:
Ignorance wrote:
*ribbit*

Flipnote Hatena?
I'd have to have a DSi and have purchased it for me to use it on the 3DS. It wouldn't be in 3D, and I don't think the service for transferring DSi software is available yet.

If that service comes out by Christmas 2011, then I'll be happy as a tacokitty! Very Happy It doesn't really matter if its not 3D.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS   

Back to top Go down

Tacokitty's Review of the 3DS
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Transformcats :: Other :: Off Topic :: Gaming-
Jump to: